Supplies and Special Instructions
Download supplies and instructions document for items needed for the circumcision and to have available at home during the aftercare period.
Frequently Asked Questions
We acknowledge that concerned parents may have many questions when considering to circumcise their baby boys. This may be a difficult decision, for some people, and we would love to help you get some more insight on what it is exactly, and the pros and cons of newborn circumcision.
Which one is better for the baby, a Doctor or Mohel?
A competent certified Mohel is a specialist, and a strong support person for you and your child. Since Mohels use only topical anesthetic or none at all, a circumcision goes faster, which can be less stressful for the baby.
Typically in the hospital, a baby is usually strapped to a backboard to support the baby; in the traditional circumcision method, a parent or loved one holds the baby on their lap on a soft cushion.
What is newborn circumcision?
For male circumcision, parents will discuss with their doctor whether they should have the foreskin surgically removed. The foreskin is the outer layer of skin that covers the head of a male’s penis.
How is circumcision done?
Circumcision actually only takes a few minutes to be performed. During circumcision, the baby will be placed on a specially designed table. The Authorized Mohel will then follow some simple steps to complete the procedure. These steps typically include:
* Cleaning of the penis and the foreskin.
* A medical device that looks like a clamp, is attached to the penis and then the foreskin is removed.
* Gauze containing petroleum jelly is placed over the wound to protect and help heal.
Are there any health benefits that are associated with circumcision?
There are various health benefits to having a child circumcised. Circumcision actually reduces the number of bacteria that is able to develop and live under the child’s foreskin. This includes the bacteria that causes urinary tract infections (UTIs) or, in adults – sexually transmitted infections (STIs). During their first year of life, studies have shown that infants that are circumcised have less of a risk of developing urinary tract infections opposed to infants that are uncircumcised.
After delivery when should I book the circumcision?
Contact Us right after delivery, within the first 2 days. Unfortunately, several health professionals may suggest delaying the procedure, after which time they will have also told you it will then be too late.
What is involved during the preparation phase?
Circumcision procedure care continues with preparation.
PLEASE BATHE BABY BEFORE (Circumsicion) BRIT ADDING ONE CHLORHEXIDINE ANTISEPTIC SACHET TO BATHWATER.
1. Two Sterile Dressing Packs
2. Sterile Gauze Swabs
3. Calpol / Medinol Baby
4. Two Chairs
5. Two Bed Pillows
6. Small Table
7. Small Bin
8. One bottle red kosher wine with seal
9. Bechar Kiddush Cup
How painful is circumcision?
The circumcision if virtual pain-free. Circumcision procedure care is undertaken with appropriate pain relief and aftercare. Mohel Avraham Gavrielov has the necessary skills and experience both to perform the operation and use appropriate measures to minimize pain and discomfort.
Is there anything that I should take into consideration before getting my child circumcised?
It is rather important for parents to have and know all of the information about the benefits and possible risks of having their child circumcised before making a firm decision.
Parents may have a lot to think about, taking into consideration future health benefits, any religious or cultural beliefs, and their personal preference. It is important for parents to remember that circumcision is an optional procedure, that it is by no means required.
If parents have any questions or concerns, it’s important to speak openly with the ob-gyn or other medical professional during pregnancy – this allows enough time for parents to make a well-informed decision for their child.
What happens during the postoperative care (first 24 hours)?
Aftercare for the first 24hours includes :
• A dressing will be placed around the penis after the operation. This is to absorb the small amount of blood that may leak out from the wound.
• The wound will appear raw and swollen and this appearance will start to settle down within a few days.
• The baby will be unsettled the first 24 hrs and requires regular feeding.
• Position of the baby
• Cuddling of the baby over the shoulder.
• Diaper check but do not dislodge dressing.
• Diaper change directions.
• Diaper change and sequence with feeding.
• Dressings explained.
• Top gauze swab additional cover, applied but not tied.
• Soiling and what to do.
• Urine color expected.
• Fresh bleeding what to observe.
• Analgesia pain relief treatment guidelines & dosage.
• Please do not bathe baby or apply double diapers.
• Arrange next & further contact.
• If you have any concerns at all, please contact Mohel Avraham Gavrielov.
What is circumcision?
Circumcision means removal of the foreskin and the edges heal together. On rare occasions dissolvable stitches are used.
When should circumcision be performed?
Is circumcision required?
To find out whether or not circumcision is covered contact your medical health insurance provider, or you can talk to your doctor/pediatrician to see if their office is able to find out for you.
How long does a circumcision take?
How long does it take to heal after circumcision?
The red raw healing area exudes healing tissue (not pus). The swelling around it gradually reduces. This exudate will be beige in color, thin or thick in consistency, not to be confused with pus or infection. Exudate is normal healing of this type of circumcision wound since there are no stitches.
The wound of a baby after traditional circumcision looks different to than that of a baby after surgical circumcision with stitches.
This healing process is explained by Mohel Avraham Gavrielov.
What happens after the operation?
• Baby is fed after the operation.
• Pain relief medication is available and advised; Baby is unsettled for the first 24 hours.
• The instruction pamphlet after the procedure aftercare details keeping in contact with Mohel Avraham Gavrielov every four hours or sooner if you are concerned in any way.
Circumcision complications – Are there any?
• Sometimes the wound continues to leak fluid or blood. If this happens, try to apply pressure. If it does not stop, please contact Mohel Avraham Gavrielov.
• If you notice the wound looks very red, swollen, or it has a yellow (pus) discharge around the area, this may indicate that there is an infection. Please contact Mohel Avraham Gavrielov.